Update: This role has now been filled. Thank you for your interest.
Role: Parish Administrator / Personal Assistant
Hours: 16 hours per week – Monday to Friday – some flexibility as to which days.
Salary: £6,656 – £7,280 per year
Key Purpose of the Role:
- Primarily responsible for the running of the Parish Office and secondly Personal Assistant to the Vicar
- Co-ordination of general administrative life of the church
- Work as an integral member of the Church Staff Team
- Ensure that the essential administrative tasks associated with the Parish Office are carried out
Principal Responsibilities (non prioritized order):
Providing P.A. and secretarial support for the vicar which may include
- acting as a first point of contact: dealing with correspondence and phone calls
- managing diaries and organizing meetings and appointments, and may require controlling access to vicar
- reminding the vicar and wardens of important tasks and deadlines
- typing, compiling and preparing reports, presentations and correspondence
- managing databases and filing systems
- implementing and maintaining procedures/administrative systems
- liaising with staff, volunteers, suppliers and clients
- miscellaneous tasks to support the vicar such as completing some governance tasks to ensure that the church is complying with legislation and church regulations.
- Providing secretarial support for the clergy (and church officers) and, as appropriate, for church groups (includes typing, photocopying and mailings).
- Management of office volunteers.
- Production of parish publications (including bimonthly newsletter, weekly notice sheets, annual reports, service sheets, service presentations, event publicity etc).
- Minute taker to the Parochial Church Council (PCC) and its Standing and Finance Committee (SFC)
- General planning and communication of the church calendar (with assistance).
- Planning and oversight of general office budgets in consultation with treasurer.
- Ensuring office equipment is maintained and identifies need for upgrading.
- Maintaining office records and files.
- Maintaining the Church Electoral Roll
- Co-ordinating Church Hall booking.
Resources for which the post holder is likely to be accountable:
- People: Office volunteers
- Budget: As assigned by the Treasurer
Principal Working Relationships: Vicar, Curate, Churchwardens, Treasurer,Vergers, and Hall Caretaker.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Self-motivated and personable, happy to work alongside others.
- A commitment to the purpose and work of St Augustine’s Church.
- An ability to multi-task and willing to learn
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility to cope with deadlines and busy periods.
- IT competent and able to use various software packages including Microsoft Office, web management and media systems
- Leadership/Motivation – Excellent interpersonal skills & enthusiasm.
- Confidentiality – Exhibit discretion when required.
- Problem Solving – Innovative and pragmatic.
- Self- Management – Self-motivated and quick to learn new skills, good personal organization.
- Planning & Organization – Well organized, planning skills.
- Team Work – Team player
- Communication – Listening and writing
- Continuous Improvement – Generation of New Ideas.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Office management
- An understanding of Church life
- Comprehensive knowledge of running an office and managing people.